Thursday, March 1, 2012

One Billion Too Many

(click photo to enlarge)

According to an article I read in the Boston Globe, one billion people live in slums throughout the world. Yes, that's BILLION with a B.  The world population is predicted to reach seven billion in 2012.  I was shocked at the ratio of world population to slum dwellers.

In the past two years, I've been on assignment in some of the biggest (and most dangerous) slums in the world.  They have many common denominators.
  • lack of clean water
  • poor sanitation
  • lawlessness
  • little or no electricity
Experts predict that the number of slum dwellers will double by the year 2030.

What has surprised me most about my experiences in the slums?  The people have HOPE. Like the fellow above.  He lives in a home made of rusty sheet metal and old bed sheets.  It's all he knows. If you look closely, he is giving me the "thumbs up".

Hope.

+

Photo:  City Soliel, Port au Prince, Haiti

© 2012 Dan Denardo Photography


2 comments:

frost said...

I've noticed the same. I've been to one slum area in Bogota, and it was obvious that people who live there really did have hope. It's amazing and makes you look at your own life a bit differently.

Hindsfeet said...

wow.....serious perspective check.....thanks, as always, for the look at Life through your lens.....