Saturday, July 16, 2011

Heartwrenching Hands

SA_04.24.11-79

These little hands belong to African children with HIV/AIDS. At best, these kids will reach twenty years of age....some will not come close....

Photographing people in challenging circumstances has become a major part of my life.  Being "called" to do this work has changed me as a person. And at times, it has pushed my heart to the brink.

Photos like this are important to me.  Not only does this photo help illustrate a story - it serves as a personal reminder of my many blessings.


+++

3 comments:

Sarah said...

This photo is so touching...and challenging. Many times I wonder if I will have regrets In life that consist less of the entertainment I missed out on and more of the lives I could have touched and helped change but didn't. Thank you for sharing this Dan. May we all be spurred on toward love and good deeds because of your work.

Javier said...

Dan,

This photo touches me deeply. And it makes me feel anger towards myself, because I feel that I am wasting my time on useless, soulless activities. I am trapped in my every day tasks and they are pushing me away from who I really am.

Just wanted to let you know that your blog always sets me thinking.

All the best, my friend.

Dan said...

Javier, good to hear from you.

I hope you won't be so hard on yourself. I have found your art to be stimulating and motivating. Whether you know it or not, you have influenced me in many positive ways through your work...and I am certain that I am not alone.

Looking forward to the day when I can meet you in Argentina.

Peace,
Dan