Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Green and Graffiti

Green & Graffiti
Dusseldorf, Germany

A few years ago, I had the good fortune of seeing Walter Iooss (pronounced Yoce) speak at a conference in New York City.  He is a photographer for Sports Illustrated with three hundred covers to his credit.

When asked his secret to photographing sports, he said, "Pick a great background and wait for the action to move into it."  I've always loved that strategy and it has been one of the guiding principles of my photography to this day.


+++

5 comments:

Jay said...

LOVE it!!

Joy said...

I never thought of that...sounds so simple and so wise. I will use that good advice.

Hindsfeet said...

...feel like a zephyr still floating around here having "laid to rest" my blog...hope you dont mind my "haunting" you here, D... ; )

....interesting concept..."find a great background and wait for the action to move into it"...what a great metaphor for life...

I love the metaphor of photography in general, D...love how the "guiding principles" of your craft do apply to life as well..."traveling" with you over this last year has given me an illuminating lens on living...a little "Life 101"....*love* that........

.....the quote you chose for your sidebar caught my eye as well.....sweet perspective of freedom there.......interesting vantage point....

....as always.

Dawn said...

This is awesome! She has the perfect "colorless" outfit for that background. You must have been veeery patient.

Dan said...

Thanks, Dawn. Didn't need to be patient. I saw the windows and saw her coming...almost simultaneously. It all happened in less than 30 seconds. I got lucky. Well, hearing myself say that, reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. I think Arnold Palmer (the golfer) said it. "The more I practice, the luckier I get."