Monday, July 5, 2010

The Real Deal

Haiti_06.30.10-037

I've been away for the past week with my friend and colleague, Ron Sim. Ron is an award-winning cinematographer, photographer and journalist. We were on assignment together in Haiti. For this assignment, he decided to put down his cameras and pick up his pen. And he asked me to pick up my cameras.


Haiti_06.30.10-045

We had an incredible week together. There were times when we were in harms way, but I never felt threatened. Ron is 'Special Op's trained' for any conceivable situation.... and he always had my back. As a result, I was able to capture some of the most meaningful images of my career....images that will soon join Ron's words to convey the hope of a nation that has been turned to rubble.


Haiti_07.02.10-281

Dude, we laughed together and we cried together.....and there is no place on earth I would have rather been than with you this week. I'll never be able to thank you enough. And one thing I learned about you in no uncertain terms, is that YOU, my friend...

... are the real deal.

God bless you, buddy.

+++


10 comments:

Hindsfeet said...

"The Real Deal".......a high compliment there, D...that's the goal, isn't it....way to bring it in to focus...thanks for tweaking my lens tonight with those three little words...

Searching Soul said...

Your partnership brings out the best in both of you. I am so happy knowing you are together in Haiti. Can't wait seeing more of your pictures that speak to the very core of person's soul and can't wait to read Ron's articles and thoughts that paint a picture of stark reality unseen by the naked eyes.

Jay said...

Made me cry! I can't wait to see what you guys put together.

Friendships, to me, are quite possibly life's greatest blessing. Knowing that someone shares your same beliefs and passions and CHOOSES to be next to you is a great feeling. True friends are no accident or coincidence - Family really doesn't have a choice. :)

Ron said...

Dan, I was nothing without you out there. As soon as I was challenged to go to Haiti without a camera, I instantly thought of you and ran accross the hall to your office. YOU, my friend, is someone I'd trust with my life! We made a great team and I truly look forward to putting this project together and working on our next assignment real soon!

The Real Deal isn't complete without YOU, buddy!

Dan said...

Yes, H, it's a high compliment and it's heartfelt.

Dan said...

More to come, SS. It's ALWAYS great hearing from you. God bless....

Dan said...

Well said, Jay. I couldn't agree more.

Dan said...

Thanks, man. Anytime. Any place. I'll be by your side.

Ava said...

If I may say one thing about the real deal ..... Ron is looking more handsome in the photos (taken by you) than in real life. Hee hee.
Joking aside, your involvement in Haiti was truely awesome. Thank you for making the world a better place.

Dan said...

Haha! I'll make sure take a hair and makeup person for Ron from now on!

Good to hear from you, Ava.