Monday, July 26, 2010

Mom and the Twins

Deer-001
As I drove to my office this past Friday morning, this scene caught my eye.  It was about 200 yards from my office.  Thankfully, I had a camera on the seat next to me.  I pulled over, lowered the passenger-side window and started clicking.  I never even unbuckled my seat belt.

One of my favorite American photographers, Jay Maisel, says, "It's very difficult to get a great shot if you don't have your camera."  I had the pleasure of hearing him say that in-person and I've never forgotten it.


I love seeing deer, especially fawns that are still in their spots. It was special -- made my day.

Here's to twins.

Clink.

~+~

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Beautiful! I love the spotted babies.

Jay said...

GREAT shot -

We had a pet deer once - believe it or not. He would eat out of your hand.

...the only other deer I have seen up close and personal were on myc ar windshield. Oh, the joy of growing up on an Alabama back country road.. :/

The Demigoddess said...

As I read this, I remembered that I am sitting outside a cafe with a wonderful view of the forest surrounding the campus. I am thankful I have my camera with me today.

Searching Soul said...

This is one of nature's best surprises even in the busyness of modern life. I am so happy you brought your camera, Dan. Otherwise, no amount of descriptive words could fully paint this poignant moment. I sooo love it!

Shutterbug said...

Awwww great shot Dan. It made me smile. I agree totally on the "never leave home without your camera." Unfortunatly, I did not listen to that advice when we went out on the boat a few weeks ago and a plane landed right in front of us ON THE WATER! Can you believe that??? Live and Learn.

chemist said...

Dan:

Welcome home from Haiti! As always, great photos! And it's wonderful to see you teamed up with Ron who publishes one of the other blogs which I regularly check in on. Keep up the great work! And take your time readjusting to 'normal' life after returning home. As I told your colleague, Ron, I go thru the same period of re-adjustment following my trips abroad.

Traveling Chemist

Joy said...

Oh, for the times I've noticed a 'great shot' and didn't have my camera. AND the times I've seen a great shot but was too lazy to get out of the car to take it! I've noticed great shots don't wait around for me to get my act together.