Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Good Reminder

Shoes
Last week, Jay reminded me of this image I captured a while back. I was glad she reminded me of this one, because I need constant reminders of how richly blessed I am.
I've always thought that a person's shoes tell a pretty accurate story of their circumstances -- their work, their passtime or their wealth (or lack there of). Think about it -- work boots, running shoes, hiking boots, dress shoes, flip flops, etc.
In the case of the young fellow above:

two lefts
two colors
too small
too worn

These are the shoes of an orphan.


~~~+++~~~

5 comments:

Jay said...

When I thought about it last week, I went back through your archives and set this picture as my desktop wallpaper - you're right, it is a great reminder of how incredibly blessed we are.

When I was a kid, I remember my Mom singing a song that was something like ♪count your many blessings, name them one by one - and it will suprise you what the Lord has done♪. -- reading this also made me think of her, she is my greatest blessing.

Thanks for sharing this again.

Dan said...

Great "Mom" story, Jay. Turns out that Moms DO know best.

Shutterbug said...

This is a very sobering shot. I will say that crocs are the only shoes my daughter wears :O) She thinks they are the most comfortable. I live in flip flops, the cheaper, the better :O) The photo speaks volumes, Dan. Thanks for sharing.

Carla said...

So great to be reminded how lucky we are to have the same two shoes. I remember when I left India i gave my birkenstocks to my taxi driver. He was so excited. I walked back into my hotel barefooted. I didn't care what people thought of me. Carla

Joy said...

This reminds me of a class school photo when my mother attended a one room school--mid 1920's... one little boy was so ashamed because he had to wear his sister's out-grown shoes. I look at the faces of these children who led such humble, hard lives.