Monday, June 21, 2010

Nova Scotia Guy

NovaScotia

I crossed paths with this kindly gentleman this past weekend. I was walking along and passed by where he was seated...then I stopped...hesitated for a moment...and then kept walking. As I walked by, I knew I would regret it if I didn't ask to photograph him reading his paper.

I did a U-turn. And I asked.....

I've learned that I need to take action when I see someone I'd like to photograph. It haunts me for days if I don't ask. I figure the worst I'm gonna get is a "no". I find by treating people with dignity and respect, I get "yes" 99% of the time. I'm pretty sure the other 1% are people doing something they shouldn't be doing...and don't want to be seen doing it.

I don't consider myself very social at all, but for some reason, when I have a camera in my hands, it changes everything and there is nothing I'd rather do than get close to my subject, let my guard down and hope they do the same.

+++

3 comments:

Shutterbug said...

I love this, Dan and I know exactly what you mean. I have kicked myself often for not having a camera handy :)

Joy said...

I too, know what you mean. The goofy thing is, though, sometimes, once you ask them, they get all self-conscious and then the 'magic' shot/mood/look you had seen just a few moments earlier has evaporated!

Daniel Casares Román said...

I like this picture so much!! Congratulations!!