Thursday, March 18, 2010

The New Spirit of St. Louis

St.Louis_03.16.10

I just returned from an assignment -- a little one-night-stand in the heartland. I couldn't resist the temptation of seeing one of the great American monuments - The Gateway Arch, also known as the Gateway to the West. Seeing it in-person was stunning. It was designed by one of my all-time favorite Architect/Designers - Finnish/American Eero Saarinen. Unfortunately, Saarinen passed away four years before his masterpiece was completed.

The Gateway Arch is the tallest monument in The United States, standing 630 feet tall.

+++

6 comments:

Jay said...

oh, that is a good picture! - makes me feel like I am standing there. Great shot, Dan!

Dan said...

Thank you, Jay!

Hindsfeet said...

very VERY cool shot...great vantage point, perfect positioning of the sun, you really captured the scope here, which is a tall order (no pun intended ; ) ) with a subject as mammoth as this one....

What a treat, D...(even without the m&m) ; )

Thanks for taking this little vicarious vagabond with you on your travels again...

....Where to next?

; )

Dan said...

Thanks, H, it is a grand and majestic work of art and engineering. In keeping with my 6-yr-old mentality, I found that the best perspective) was lying flat on my back...

joel said...

Great shot! I've driven past it countless times, but have never seen that perspective.

Joy said...

I'm from St.Lous, been at the top of that baby three times... that was more than enough. My father, a amateur photographer (but still good) took pics of it during construction. I'm going to have to ask him about them.