Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Remembering.....

OldTown_Portrait

When I was at Old Town Christian Outreach Center this past Saturday, I was saddened to learn that this fellow is no longer with us. I blogged about him last year. We never really met, but he had an impact on me that I will not forget. For that I am grateful.

Whenever I am at Old Town, it catches me off-guard when folks call me "brother". I love hearing that. After-all, we all have the same Father, right? I guess I should be more tuned-in to that. There is a lot of love that permeates every cubic inch of Old Town. In fact, to the fellow pictured above, I was "brother". How great is that?

You're gone now, but if I play my cards right, I'll see you again someday. And for that I'll be ETERNALLY grateful.

Thank you, brother.

With love and gratitude,

Dan

+++

If you would care to see my blog post from last year, you can see it here: A Life Lesson in Happiness

+++

7 comments:

Javier said...

It's not only the smile, but the eyes! They're so deep and full of.,, gratitude and hope? I'm not sure how to describe it... All the same, It's so sad when people like him pass away... Thanks for sharing, Dan.

Cheers!

Dan said...

Thanks for that, Javier. You're right! It IS the eyes, too. Have a good week, my friend.

Hindsfeet said...

Oh Dan : ( .....

hmmmmm....

...that's really something to live up to, isn't it...to be so full of the peace and the love of Christ that a picture of you really does say a thousand words about Him...as this gentleman's picture does...

I felt a pang in my heart when you mentioned he had passed...about someone I never even knew...

To be so full of His life that the void is felt when you're gone, even by people who never knew you...

Even in death, his life continues to teach...

Dan said...

Amen, H. Amen.

Hindsfeet said...

hey You...

From "Remembering" to "Rising"...

...my post tonight an homage to the tenacious life of the spirit. Autobiographical in it's conception, but far-reaching in it's culmination...

wanted to share it with you as your tribute to this man came to mind...hope it resonates with you in your Remembering...

peace...
H ><>

Sarah said...

Dan - Thanks for sharing - You have no idea how much I needed to hear the "Happiness is a choice" today. The dulldrums of motherhood can certainly make you feel insignificant to say the least...yet it is still a choice to serve sick children with love, compassion and a SMILE. =)

Thanks Dan. =)

Joy said...

I would say the eyes reflect his contentment--maybe like the Apostle Paul? About being a 'brother': While growing up, my relatives called their fellow believers 'sister so and so' and 'brother so and so'. Being an unbeliever, I thought it just a quaint way of showing fondness. I know now that believers are sisters and brothers in Christ.