Saturday, January 30, 2010

7:00 a.m and 7 Degrees

OldTown_01.30.10-51

It's 7:00 a.m. and 7 degrees F in central Michigan. It is barely daylight.

As I arrive, there is already a line 100 feet long. Folks are standing in line for a food give-a-way that is going to begin at 11:30 a.m. Under my breath, I thank God that I don't need to stand in a line like this.

In my heart I know that these folks are no different than me - they just had some bad luck or took the wrong fork in the road. It could happen to me in a heartbeat. And it's a miracle that it hasn't happened to me at some point in my far-less-than-perfect life. This simple truth has done a lot to bolster my Faith over the years.

Do you realize how rich you and I are? Even when times are tough, we are richly blessed.

  • 800 million people on our planet will not eat today. Will you?
  • 92% of the world's inhabitants don't own a car. Do you? Maybe two?

If you answered "yes" to either question above, those who answered "no" will think you are rich.

If you are reading this post, you have:

  • An Internet connection
  • A computer, cell phone, or some such device (probably both)
  • Shelter from the cold
  • Money enough for the luxury of the items above
  • eyesight
  • fingers and the dexterity to use them
  • the ability to read
  • and more.....

The bullet points above say a great deal about your blessings, don't they? God has blessed us.

Who are we going to bless today?

+++

4 comments:

Hindsfeet said...

: (

Dan said...

:(

Jay said...

Now, don't you know better than to make a pregnant woman cry?

Dan said...

ooops. Sorry, Jay. I should have known better since I know where your heart is. :(