Monday, December 28, 2009

Tori

Tori

When Tori's mom asked me if I would shoot her daughter's high school senior pictures, I started fidgeting. I have always gravitated away from shooting senior pictures. Same with weddings. They are both a moving target. Many genres of photography have trends and the best photographers in those genres keep up with the trends. I cannot seem to find the time for that. Or perhaps I just don't want to. I suppose if my phone stopped ringing I'd need to rethink that.

Tori, her mom and I had a discussion over lunch. I've gotten pretty good at saying "no" to things that are not in my sweet spot and clearly this was not. However, this assignment was beginning to sound like something that was not cookie-cutter. Cookie-cutter is not my thing. It was beginning to sound like a bit of an adventure - for them, too.

We came to an agreement. Intuitively, they knew they wouldn't get the typical selection of photos and they seemed okay with that. And I could tell we had similar beliefs and values that made it difficult for me to say no. The rest is history. I think they're pretty happy with the results. So am I.

The photo above is one example of many that made it difficult to choose favorites. Much of that is do to Tori's energy, enthusiasm and beauty (inside and out).

+++

7 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

Soooooo, are you going to also do her modeling portfolio? She's gorgeous! And the photo is definitely a keeper...

Ron said...

You know--I'm pretty efficient in the studio when it comes to putting up light stands, adjusting flags and even fixing make-up...so next time you need a helping hand...don't forget me...you know what I mean...? wink wink.

Dan said...

You can be my assistant any day, Ron, and I would be yours in a heartbeat.

Hindsfeet said...

Absolutely Gorgeous, Dan! (The photo AND this lovely girl!) I can't believe that you hesitated for even a moment! How could any photo of this young lady turn out to be anything but divine! : )

A terrific shot, Dan, and DEFINITELY not cookie cutter!!

: )

Dan said...

W2W, she COULD be a model, but she's got plenty of other attributes that give her a plethora of opportunities! If she decided to model, I'd be delighted to shoot her portfolio.

Dan said...

Thanks, Hindsfeet. Yes, it's hard to go wrong shooting someone like Tori. The camera loves her.

Hindsfeet said...

Hey Dan! A little p.s. :) ...You might want to check out this artist's blog, and particularly her post for today...The title is what caught my eye as it's been a loose little theme in some of yours and my exchanges....

http://ginaleekim.blogspot.com/2009/12/looking-up.html

The entry is lovely and her work so inspiring, just thought I'd pass it on : )

Keep "Looking Up"! : )
"Hindsfeet"