Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Whistling Face

Whistler_web

OK OK. Now I'm done. It's time for me to drop it and move on.

I have a mentor that goes crazy when I don't take my photography seriously. He's a brilliant photographer. However, I'm not wound the same way he is. I need some balance and whimsy. In fact, I try NOT to take myself too seriously. This "face" exercise would drive him insane (if he knew I had a blog*). For me it's an exercise that keeps my eyes tuned up for more serious things. I'll be on assignment in Indonesia soon -- the subject matter will be far more serious. I'll be ready for the transition thanks to this whimsical little exercise.

* I actually keep my blog pretty quiet, believe it or not. Those of you that have found me have found me mostly by osmosis. Nevertheless, I'm delighted that you found me. This will be our little secret. :-)

+++

6 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

There's room in our lives and brains for whimsical and serious, thank goodness!

Dan Denardo said...

I couldn't agree more, W2W.

Hindsfeet said...

I think it's great to have a little play time with our art, frees up the creative juices that get all clogged up when we're trying to hard...Like doing a light warm up before a run (Indonesia?)...

Good to "color outside the lines" sometimes, blow the walls off the horizon a bit..

A couple o' books come to mind you might enjoy speaking of freeing up creativity..."Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell and "Bird by Bird" by Ann Lamott (The latter is geared toward writers, but the principles apply across the board.)

Can't wait to see what you see in Indonesia, waiting with bated breath : )

Dan Denardo said...

Hindsfeet, thanks for the heads up with Bird by Bird. I'll look into it. I love Malcolm Gladwell. Loved Blink. I am currently reading What the Dog Saw.

Hindsfeet said...

Somehow that book flew under my radar! So glad you mentioned it! I'll add it to the inbox ; )

Safe travels...

Dan Denardo said...

Hindsfeet, I think it's a relatively new book. And I think I remember hearing that it's actually a compilation of his columns from The New Yorker. I love his writing. And I love listening to his books on audio. The speaking voice is HIS and he's a terrific speaker.