Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Mondo Fern

You didn't really think you were going to get travelogue photos from me, did you? I'm too spellbound by the details at this point. And this specimen is not a little detail. In fact, this guy was at least 8' long -- a monster fern. Monsterous Ferniferous (a botanist I am not).

It didn't take me long to notice that everything grows big in Indonesia. Including the spiders. I saw an enormous web this morning - must have been 3' x 4'. I am not kidding. While I was admiring this amazing and intricate web (over my head), I failed to notice the spider sitting in it -- dead center. He was bigger than my hand. Yes, I snapped a photo of him. I'll spare you the visual. It's creepy. I'll save it for my Halloween 2010 post.
+++

3 comments:

Jay said...

You can't just say all of that and then not POST THE SPIDER! Please....

Shutterbug said...

PLEASE POST THE SPIDER! It is Friday the 13th. It does not get any creepier! PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE! Love the fern. I used to have a special talent of killing house ferns, lol. Safe Travels!

Hindsfeet said...

This would make a GREAT framed print for some foyer or something...actual size and all!

I've been off line for a few days so am just now catching up on everyone's posts, like a kid coming down to a bunch of packages under the Christmas tree, having fun opening each one up, not the least of which was this one (and the absence of the spider one, yikes! ; ) )

Keep 'em coming, Dan! : )