Thursday, September 3, 2009

West Indian Iguana

Sierra Exif JPEG

You can call him what you like. And they may say he's a West Indian Iguana, but to me he's a mini-dinosaur. Come on. Look at that dude. He's got D I N O S A U R written all over his face.

These guys are four to seven feet long and they typically live high in the trees unless they are on the ground looking for food or sunning themselves. We were in the US Virgin Islands on the island of St. John when I snapped this. He was about 30' from our hotel room patio. They're as common as squirrels on many islands in the Caribbean.

+++

2 comments:

Jay said...

"as common as squirrels" ????

I would just die if one of those darted out in front of me. die. right there.

Dan Denardo said...

Hahaha! Well, "as common as squirrels" was an unscientific observation on my part, Jay. They seemed as common as squirrels. In fact, in the afternoon, the hotel would have a "feed the iguana" session for the kids. The staff would bring out a couple heads of lettuce and the iguanas would migrate over to a spot they had become accustomed to being fed. They would typically have 4 or 5 of these rascals at a time. Quite the scene.