Friday, August 28, 2009

The Doctor Bird

DoctorBird

This is one of the most magnificent birds I have ever seen in the wild. I'm guessing this guy was 10-12" from its beak to the end of its tail. When he flew, the sound his wings made was almost lyrical. If you ever see one, you'll never forget it. However, you can only see it in one country on this planet.

From This is Jamaica:

"The doctor bird or swallow tail humming bird, is one of the most outstanding of the 320 species of hummingbirds. It lives only in Jamaica. These birds’ beautiful feathers have no counterpart in the entire bird population and they produce iridescent colour characteristics of only that family. In addition to these beautiful feathers, the mature male has two long tails which stream behind him when he flies. For years the doctor bird has been immortalized in Jamaican folklore and song."

+++

2 comments:

Ron said...

Dood thats an awesome capture! I always wondered how you capture these...

Dan Denardo said...

Thanks, man. This was just a case of being in the right place at the right time. And of course having my camera ready. Like Jay Maisel (one of my favorite American photographers) says, "It's very difficult to make a great picture if you don't have your camera with you."

I loved your post from the other day. I need to go back and re-read it, to savor it and digest it. Awesome.

Be well. I miss ya.