Sunday, July 26, 2009

Habitat for Humanity - Day 2

_DSC9124

I met a great bunch of kids yesterday. They're a youth group from a local Church. These kids could have been doing many other things yesterday, but they chose Habitat for Humanity. They were pretty much all covered in paint by the end of the day, but I do believe some paint actually made it onto the shed they were painting. I love it when I see kids getting involved with meaningful activities. It gives me hope.

Bless their hearts.

_DSC9283

The kids (above) are signing a piece of lumber that will help form the interior of a backyard shed. Notice how the sky is getting dark over their shoulders?

_DSC9364

And then the rains came. Not for too long, however. (This is what a photographer does when he/she cannot shoot the primary subjects. I love shooting weather-related things)

+++

3 comments:

Shutterbug said...

Great shots of the kids and bless their hearts for volunteering. I encourage my kids to volunteer often. My son helped out with the Tri-City-Try this past weekend and it made this Mom very proud :O) I try teach both my kids that it is better to give, than receive and be thankful for EVERYTHING they have. Have a good week! Thanks for sharing.

Carol

Dan Denardo said...

Hi Carol, I've got a feeling it's good to start kids volunteering early. It's probably easier to move a kid in the right direction that it is an adult. Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,

Hello again. I don't think there are many people who can offer the insight and advice on volunteering as much as you can. Working with you for so many years at BBBS made me recognize what an outstanding volunteer ethic you possessed. Your contributions and your attitude made you stand out above others and what you brought to the young people we worked with was invaluable. It's so nice to see that some things never change. By the way...great photos. Take care.

Jeff from a long time ago