Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Counting Down the Days

Rojel

I am counting down the days until I begin another journey to one of my favorite places on the planet - the City of Refuge Children's Home. The City of refuge is an orphanage in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. It is currently home to nearly 70 children - babies to 13-year-olds.

I vividly remember my first trip. It was a trip to visit my wife's brother and his wife (the founders and directors of the home). In my mind, that trip had "vacation" written all over it. Jamaica, mon! Their purpose and mission was was not even on my radar. As it turns out, it was not a vacation, but an awakening.

Like many things in my life, I didn't think I wanted to go there.......until I went there. That trip changed my life. And it solidified my belief that my life was not being directed by me.

The little guy pictured above is the "purple eraser" guy that many of you commented on. I suspect he is counting down the days, too.

+++

2 comments:

Jay said...

I suspect he is counting them down as well. What a cute picture!
How long do you get to stay?

Dan Denardo said...

Not long enough, Jay. 6 or 7 days. Although, I'm going it alone this time, so I'll likely be anxious to get back home to my fam.