Sunday, June 21, 2009

1000 Words

I've just come to the realization that the shoes a person wears can reveal a good deal of their story. At least some of their story anyway. Think about it - work boots, dress shoes, running shoes, etc. If you've read this blog for any length of time, you know the story behind the child wearing these shoes. Maybe I'm overdoing the shoe thing lately, but I think I've hit on something here.

This will be my last post from the City of Refuge for this journey. I'll be leaving the mountain in the morning. It makes me sad to leave. Once again, the children have taught me so much. I will miss them deeply. They are constantly in my heart now. I already can't wait to come back.

I also miss my wife and son terribly and I cannot wait to see them tomorrow evening.

Goodbye for now.
+++

4 comments:

Jay said...

My Sister's hubby is a singer/songwriter in Nashville. He has a song that talks about this very thing called "Daddy's Shoes"

You can hear it here:
http://www.myspace.com/mattchapelmusic

I think it's the first one in the playlist. Just a head's up... if you aren't a country music fan, you prob. won't like his style, but the words to that song are great.

I can't wait to hear all about your trip, and you adventures with your little purple eraser friend!

Dan Denardo said...

I'll check out the song when I get back, Jay. Thanks for the heads up!

Ah yes, my Purple Eraser friend. I love him. His name is Rojel. We have had some good times this visit. His house mom told me yesterday, "Rojel is crazy about you, Uncle Dan." Well, I'm crazy about him, too.

Talk to you soon, Jay.

Ron said...

Damn bro,you we must be always on the same wave length or something!

I spent the day packing my bags for my next assignment and ran across an old pair of hiking boots from my first trip to Afghanistan. I stood there scrubbing and scrubbing--only to realize that I no longer fit in them, but for some reason they mean so much to me! You're definately onto something--and you're totaly right--shoes do tell a lot of the story!

Talk soon.

Dan Denardo said...

I'm tellin' ya, man, we're twin sons from different mothers (with a couple decades in between). :-)