Sunday, May 3, 2009

Happy 100th...

_DSC1791_Self_blog

I would have never believed it, but the D2 Photo Journal is 100 posts old. I'm very grateful to those of you who have stuck it out with me. Your encouragement and support has been nothing short of amazing.

In honor of my 100th post, I decided to do something I've only done once before and that is to post a photo of myself. I believe the only other photo is in my profile.  I've never felt that this blog was about me. I've tried to make it about what my camera has been aimed at. And for once, I am aiming it at me.

I've been wanting to do a self-portrait for a while...simply for the challenge of it. Granted, this is not a typical portrait, but I suppose I'm not typical...just ask my wife. In addition, I've been wanting to become more proficient at using small flashes. For this shot, I combined both wishes.

When I shoot in the studio, it's usually with studio strobes that could light the dark side of the moon. This shot was created using 3 small battery-powered Nikon SB800 Speedlights...each about 6" x 3".

Speedlight Nikon SB800 Speedlight

The 3-flash set up was as follows:

1. A Speedlight at camera left with a grid attachment splashed light across the outside of the laptop.

2. A Speedlight lying on the keyboard, aimed at the monitor. This bounced light onto my face.

3. A Speedlight behind me with a snoot on it (to narrow the beam) aimed at the background. This outlined my head and shoulder to keep me from totally blending into the background.

+++

Once again, thanks so much for joining me in the blogosphere for these 100 posts. It's been a joy.

Peace.

+++

11 comments:

Jay said...

Ah, this is a great picture. --- except, It's like a reverse Wilson.(you know... the neighbor on Home Improvement- the one that only lets you see his eyes)

just kidding. This is a cool picture, and if you are anything like me, it's how you look most of the time --- sitting behind a computer.

Congrats on 100 posts. But, you still left us hanging- are there going to be 100 more?

Please tell me that "peace" wasn't a "peace out" ':)

The Demigoddess said...

Happy 100th post, D2! That is quite an accomplishment. I spend a lot of time blogging and I'm still on my 86th. :-)

Hales said...

Love it! Thanks for telling us how you did the awesome lighting. You know Jay or me would ask :)

Dan Denardo said...

Hahaha. Yes, you or Jay WOULD ask! But that's ok! I need a reminder from time to time. Too funny.

Dan Denardo said...

Demigoddess,
My 100 posts pale in comparison to your 86. You actually WRITE...and you're good at it. In my case, many of my posts are simply a photo.

Dan Denardo said...

Jay, I love the "reverse Wilson" analogy! In fact, I did think of Wilson after I created this. I guess great minds think alike! That show was one of my favorites back in the day.

I'm not going to Peace out, Jay. Your thoughtful comment from last week helped pull me back from the abyss. I'm not sure I'll make it another hundred, but who knows. I never thought I'd make it THIS far.

Geek Girl said...

Congratulations!! I love your blog and I hope you keep posting photos and stories.

I like that this photo has detail in the background which is a dark grey. Nice way to not end up as just a face and hand. You'll have to teach me your tricks!

Dan Denardo said...

I'd be happy to teach you anytime, Dawn!

PAOLA said...

A great portrait dan, but the most interesting thing is the mistery tath hides behind your sensibility, and all those sensations you can communicate without words.
Congratulations

Photos by Ari said...

Amazing work! I had no idea you were a photographer until Christmas. When we recieved your card of Olive and your son. I'm trying to be a photographer! :) I was talking with Kay the other night and mentioned what I do. And she was telling me about your work. She was right, AMAZING!! I started out on Myspace and Facebook. And now it's getting a little much for me. I love photographing children. But have really noticed lately that I need some work with my camera skills. Wondering if maybe you would be interested in training me. Or maybe have any suggestions where I could look, I have been looking into courses at Lansing Comm. COllege. B ut that's quite the drive after working all day. ( I work full time as well ) I don't work with any lights, and that's what I would really like to learn. I was going to purchase some about a month ago, til I looked online. WOW where do you start? speedlights, meters, strobes, unbrellas, reflectors....UGHHHHhh. Anyhow, would love to talk with you about maybe doing some classes with you this fall/winter. Thanks Dan--your neighbor Arianne

Dan Denardo said...

Good to hear from you, Ari. Thanks for your kind words regarding my work. Photography has been my full-time job for a long time. Most of my work is corporate and the subject matter tends to be pretty boring.

In any case, I'd be happy to talk with you, work with you, etc. I might suggest you tag along with me sometime when I have an assignment that involves lights. Assisting is often the best way to learn. I've got a ton of lights and would be happy to give you some advice on what to do...and not do.

Dan

PS - I was on the Photographic Advisory Board at LCC for a few years. It's a great school with a great Photography curriculum if you ever decide to go that route...but I know you're busy.