Saturday, April 4, 2009

Boston Ladder 15

Boston_D2Blog

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for firefighters. These are two of Boston's finest. Firefighters put their lives on the line for us and they earn peanuts.

It just occurred to me that I snapped this photo on Patriot's Day 2008. How cool is that?

This is my spin on what is commonly known as HDR (High Dynamic Range). I used a method of my own creation. No special super-de-duper HDR software or plug-ins, just Photoshop and patience.



5 comments:

Jay said...

VERY cool shot, and you are SO right. America pays way too little attention (and money) to these everyday heroes.

Dan Denardo said...

Thanks, Jay. Yes, there are a few professions here in the States where we do not pay enough(IMHO). The impact, responsibility and danger associated with them is off the chart. Yet our system paves the way for AIG execs to get spa treatments. Nice.

Ron said...

You're right, Dan--firefighters don't recieve the attention they truly deserve.

I really like this shot. It's HDR, but it's very subtle--which is why I really like it. I've never been much of an HDR fan when it's so blatenly evident--when it hit's you and go BHAM HDR!!! But your kind of HDR is really nice and just the right amount.

I compare it to how I like my girls without make-up.(or when it's very subtle that you can't even tell she's wearing any).

Dan Denardo said...

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of HDR, Ron, but I find myself using it in a measured way. In fact, I tell people that I'm not very "heavy-handed" in photoshop, then I turn around and do something goofy. Go figure. I guess it's my nature to keep poking and prodding the status quo. Love your makeup analogy - it's spot on.

TheChicGeek said...

This is a classic shot. Perfect picture capturing our heros :)