Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Tough Nut

DSC_0139_JeanMichelRisk_blog copy

I was a photographer for an Ontario Hockey League team for four years.  I don't think I was particularly good at it.  Shooting hockey was hard for me.  I found that trying to shoot through 3/4" plexiglass was difficult. On top of that, the plexiglass had scuffs, scratches, distortions, face prints and embedded teeth in it.  I found myself shooting the obligatory action shots and then I would experiment.  I found myself shooting from the catwalk (to eliminate the plexiglass and show a unique angle) or just trying to come up different ways of showing the personality of hockey.  I'm not sure my images were particularly useful to the team, since they were not typical.  I have since moved on...feeling somewhat dissatisfied with my performance.  The beauty of photography is that there are SO many different subjects and situations.  I love that about it.

5 comments:

The Demigoddess said...

He looks pissed..or maybe, intense?

Dan Denardo said...

Good observation, Demigoddess. I think he was BOTH. Maybe he was intensely pissed!

SearchingSoul said...

I know nothing about Hockey but I can see the story behind with that picture. Just a fraction of a second but the emotions are frozen in time. Thanks, Dan.

Ron said...

Hockey (not Hackey as Americans would say it) is one of the hardest sports to shoot. That puck goes so fast...and it's so small...MAN! I wouldn't be able to do what you did...and going up on the catwalk to shoot down is crazy! I'd be afraid of falling and becoming a part of the action! But you're right, Dan, it's hard to show a different side of something so overly covered...but as you've said, photography is full of subjects and situations to discover...man, we're lucky! :)

Dan Denardo said...

Ron,
The "over coverage" you mentioned reminds me of something. My favorite sports photographer, Don Miralle, says that when he sees the mass of sports photographers all ganged together on the sidelines of any event, he goes in the opposite direction. He figures they have the usual shots covered. Why not go for something different or off-beat. I've always thought that was good advice.