Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Purple Eraser... revisited

PurpleEraser
I originally posted this on March 17, 2009. Many folks have commented on it, both online and in-person. I have been asked to repost it. Seems like a good way to begin my second year of blogging. In fact, I may repost a few of my personal favorites over the coming days. Some of them are good reminders for ME... to do the right thing(s).
+++

This little fellow is a resident of the City of Refuge Children's Home. He likes to be my assistant when I visit. Being my assistant means that he follows me everywhere. Does he assist with anything? Not really, but I love having him around. He's a super kid. We've become quite close over the past few years. He calls me "Uncle Dan" and I love that.

When we last visited, my wife asked him what he would like for Christmas. We asked him to make us a list. On the final day of our visit, he presented us with his list. In one hand he had his list written in pencil and in his other hand he had a purple eraser. He first handed me the list... and then the eraser. Then he said, "Uncle Dan, I don't expect you to give me anything on my list. You can erase as many things as you choose to. I would be very thankful if you choose to give me one thing."

Wow.

Clearly, he's not your typical 7-year-old. Four years ago he was a homeless child wandering the mean streets of Kingston...perhaps sleeping under benches and in cardboard boxes. Look at him now. He's teaching Uncle Dan a few things.

_DSC9377_PurpleEraser

I asked him if I might keep the eraser. I keep it in a spot where I am certain to see it every morning. It is a good reminder....

+++


13 comments:

Jay said...

You made me cry.

reminded me of a similar life experience of my own, it's too long for a comment... i will write about it.

Dan Denardo said...

I cannot wait to read your version, Jay. I always look forward to your posts.

-D2

The Tri Runner said...

Wow, the photo of the purple eraser is hard to look at after reading that story. Thanks for sharing. My day just got a little better.

Dan Denardo said...

Thanks, TriRunner. My day got a little better, too, after reading your comment.

Ron said...

Wow!
This one made me smile real wide and made my heart full of joy. Stories like this stay with you for life...and we're grateful for it. Thanks for sharing,Dan.

Geek Girl said...

I love your stories and all the children in them!

Dan Denardo said...

Dawn(Geek Girl), if YOU like them, just imagine how much impact they have had on me. These stories I have written about have influenced me profoundly.

Dan Denardo said...

Ron, I always appreciate your comments. You and I share many common denominators in life.

Javier said...

this is really touching, Dan... and there's no ending to what we can learn from kids and specially from the ones that have very little... you're very lucky in your job, and I guess you have learned a lot and become very wise through sharing your life so much!
thanks for making ME wiser with your words and pictures!

have a great weekend, Dan!

SearchingSoul said...

Dear Dan,

In giving generously to others, especially love, care and time, we are blessed a hundredfold. Your post is so touching. Thanks for reminding me once again of this simple truth.

God bless.

PAOLA said...

U cannot erase reality, it bites you deep, it cuts you deeper than you can resist.
Little body, little age-boy, but a wise soul inside that suffering body.
It´s great that he couls find you in his way of life.
Kiss him in my name please, next time U see him.

Hales said...

Amazing! I love all of your posts. They inspire me as a photographer to show more of myself in my photos, just like you said on your profile. Thanks so much for sharing!

Hindsfeet said...

....was perusing your site "in your absence" tonight, D....and came across this post...

...beautiful story....what perspective.....