Thursday, March 26, 2009

Bigger, Better, More...

_DSC2453_Blessings

I keep hearing that times are tough around here. Are they really? This little one would think you are rich. Her worldly possessions fit in a small suitcase. You might use a suitcase like hers (and a couple more) to go on vacation.

Here are a few facts:

  1. Eight hundred million people will not eat today. Will you?
  2. Three hundred million of those are kids.
  3. One billion people on our planet do not have clean drinking water. Do you?
  4. Every couple seconds someone dies of hunger. Tick,Tock,Tick,Tock....

Hey, I take it all for granted, too. Can't we quit that? We see thousands of marketing messages every day that tell us "buy this"..."consume that". We need bigger, better, more...AND THEN we will be happy. We may think we don't have much because we see people that have EVEN MORE. Right?

It's a slippery slope.

I have been richly blessed. If you are reading this blog, YOU have been richly blessed. What is the next step for us?

Who are we going to bless?


7 comments:

Ron said...

Dan, I'm so thankful that you wrote this entry. It's a topic that's been swirling in my heart for the past few days now since I got back...and it's killing me inside. We have so much, yet, sometimes we are blinded by the things we only yearn for. You and I have seen what it's really like on the other side of the world...and I'm glad we're both choosing to share our images in the hopes of making others open their eyes. Thanks, buddy!

Jay said...

hmmm, good point.

I know all those facts, I have heard them a million times... it is just so hard to believe having never experienced it. In America, even the poorest people are some of the richest in the world. It's a shocking statistic, and a heartbreaking one too.

Great shot, by the way.

Dan Denardo said...

Ron & Jay,
I'm not afraid to admit that I forget how blessed I am. My hope is that if I write about it, I'll do a better job of acting on it. I appreciate the the comments you leave me on a regular basis. It's nice knowing there are kindred spirits out there.

TheChicGeek said...

Beautiful picture and sentiments. I often ask the same question, what can I do? There are so many hurting people in the world and we in America are blessed with so much, yet so many don't appreciate it. Sometimes I believe those that have less truly have so much more.
Beautiful post! Thank You!
Have a Blessed Day!

Dan Denardo said...

Well said, ChicGeek! I think you are on to something. In many ways they DO have more.

Random Hiccups said...

I've been to several African villages and been appalled at the living conditions. Their lifestyles are so far removed from my sanitised life that I found it difficult to believe that they could be happy.

But they were.

And with joy like that? I can't argue that. In no way can we force our Western ways onto those whose standards are different than ours. They aren't any worst. Just different.

Good post!

TheChicGeek said...

Thanks, Dan :) You have a great blog and thanks for following me too :)
Have a Happy Day!