Monday, February 16, 2009

Kid Stuff

Being a Kid copy 

I heard a news item around Christmas time that mentioned a toy being inducted into the "Toy Hall of Fame". Who knew?  The toy that was inducted?  The stick.

From The Associated Press:

"Curators at the Rochester museum say the stick is a special addition. They praised its all-purpose, all-natural, no-cost qualities and its ability to serve either as raw material or an appendage transformed by imaginations into something else."

I love that!  Especially the "transformed by imaginations" part. What kid hasn't imagined that a stick was a light saber?  Or in my day, a sword.

When I think back on my childhood, the things I remember most fondly are the things that tended to be simple and low tech.  Playing a card game, checkers, a board game, hop scotch, jacks, marbles.  Do kids still do that stuff?  I hope so.  I think those things are good for the soul.  Maybe it's because most of the things I mentioned involve another person.

Don't get me wrong. I love newfangled toys, too -- computers, Wii, PSP, iPod, etc.  They just seem to be missing something and I cannot put my finger on it.  If YOU know, leave me a comment and help me figure it out.

Maybe I've reached that time in my life when conversations with my son will start with, "When I was your age....."

2 comments:

Geek Girl said...

I know I should be fondly remembering playing with sticks, instead what jumps to mind is hearing: "don't run/play with sticks or you'll poke your eye out". Why did adults have to spoil all the fun?

Dan Denardo said...

Good one, Dawn. I suppose you are right. I probably didn't let that stop me. I liked to run with scissors, too.