Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

A few years ago, I traveled to Jamaica with three others from our Church. This trip was to pave the way to take ninety (yes, 90) members of our Church on a mission trip to an orphanage in Jamaica. That trip is history. It was a remarkable trip…life-changing for many, including me.

The person pictured above is Stephanie. She was in our group of four that went on the fact-finding mission. One day during our trip, Stephanie said six words to me that I have never forgotten. It wasn’t just the words, it was the way she said them.

Understand that I have spent too many days thinking that going to Church was an obligation…my duty. It was something I needed to do so my son would see me doing the right thing.

One day as we were planning our day in Jamaica, I mentioned to Stephanie that there was a worship service that evening. She stopped what she was doing, looked at me with a sparkle in her eyes and said, “YOU MEAN WE GET TO WORSHIP!!?” She practically shouted it. She could not have been happier. Those six words were like cold water in my face. It took a person thirty years my junior to wake me up.

Thank you, Stephanie. I know I have told you this story in person, but it is worth repeating. It was a gift that keeps on giving.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Happy Thanksgiving,dood! Eat some turkey for me, as I will only be having rice!

All the best to you and the family!

Dan Denardo said...

Thanks, man. I'll have some turkey for you! Have some rice for me. I love rice, but not with duck embryos! All the best to you and yours. I'm thankful for my Canadian friend!